Positional discrepancies for plumbing installation have a significant knock-on effect when unnoticed. Resulting in a halt to continued installations and costly reworks to MEP systems. Incurring impacts include:
- Need for specialist lifting equipment and personnel to access confined areas
- Re-breaking of the slab for links to higher or lower levels
- Timely redesigns for the connections to other services
The Main Contractor collaborated with XYZ Reality to instil the mantra of ‘Building it right, first time’. The Main Contractor aimed to inspect MEP installation before any major lifting or fitting had occurred. This scope included:
- Providing a pre-installation check of the brackets and hangers with +/-5mm accuracy.
- Visually exposing any clashes with coinciding services and feeding this back to the design team for additional review.
During the first Rainwater Pipe installation, The Atom pinpointed multiple positional discrepancies, including errors of 500mm horizontally and 150mm vertically during the pre-installation bracketry checks.
Consequently, the surface water network connections and slab penetration positions were incorrect but were detected before any major works were undertaken. The relevant contractors were directed with ample time to correct the errors before significant delays.